The Super Bowl is fast approaching, and I thought it would be fun to share a veggie version of a Super Bowl snack staple: Buffalo Wings. Cauliflower takes the place of the chicken in this variation. Perhaps you can give this recipe a try this weekend and see what you think!
Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower “Wings”/Bites:
1 cup water, dairy milk, or soy milk
1 cup flour (any kind will work—even gluten-free!)
2 tsp. garlic powder (if you want a big garlic flavor substitute with garlic granules if you have them on hand)
1 head of cauliflower, chopped into pieces that are loosely “wing” sized
1 cup buffalo or hot sauce (personally I like Frank’s Original or Buffalo)
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, melted butter, or melted vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Combine the water or soy milk, flour, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir until well combined.
- Core the cauliflower to remove the green stalk base & green leafy sides.
- Chop the cauliflower into loosely “wing” sized pieces.
- Coat the cauliflower pieces with the flour mixture (this is a good step for kids to help with too!) and place in a shallow baking dish. Bake for 18 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is baking, combine your buffalo/hot sauce of choice and oil/butter in a small bowl.
- Pour the hot sauce mixture over the baked cauliflower and continue baking for an additional 5 to 8 minutes.
You can serve your Spicy Cauliflower Bites alongside an assortment of veggie sticks (carrots and celery are popular) and your dressing of choice for dipping (ranch and blue cheese are popular).
And that’s it! I hope you enjoy, and please let me know how yours turned out. I’ll be updating soon with my review of the recipe & pictures of my addition.
-Recipe adopted from: Peta’s Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower ‘Wings’ Recipe Page